Thursday 17 February 2011

31st January 2011 – Day One


On site at 8 o’clock to see the start and say hello. Religiously fill in the first page of the Site Diary as instructed by the Builder’s Bible, capturing weather conditions, who’s on site, names of visitors, what’s delivered and what work is done. The Book says to ask for ID from visitors but I don’t have the courage to do that. Just asking a guy for his name is daunting enough.


The loo and security fencing are delivered today and set up. The scaffolders are on site and begin setting up inside and out.


The engineer is on site and talks the builder through his sketches. I feel a bit of a fifth wheel at times with so much going on and me just standing around watching, taking pictures. I keep reassuring myself that I’m there to sign the cheques which is going to be hard enough work going forward.


Nevertheless I keep a little bit busy putting up the safety notices, putting the hard hats and first aid box in the Container, and nailing the bat boxes to trees near the barn.

During the morning a herd of a dozen or so deer cross the field behind the barn and I hear one of the guys up on the scaffold call out to his mate ‘Look at that’. I reflect that did want to live in the country ...
By the end of the day really have the feeling that work on the conversion has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment